POTD Aceman The Slaving Wannabe (Seymour Duncan)

POTD Aceman The Slaving Wannabe (Seymour Duncan)

Postby RitchiesPartyHat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:06 pm

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?329115-Critical-Assessment-of-a-YouTube-video-What-to-not-to-do

As is so typical of guitar forums today, here we have a completely clueless fool offering his "critique" on a YouTube video about slaving amps (mine).

It's obvious that "Aceman" has never slaved in his life; further proof shown in his posts here:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?281583-How-To-Slaving-Amps

For example:

In this comment, "Aceman" spouts off his indubitable advice stating that a better sounding rig setup is sticking a dirt pedal in front of a clean-ish amp.

Need delay?

Just slap that in front of the dirt pedal! Need an FX loop instead for your delay? Just buy a loop pedal! (yeah, two different things) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aceman wrote:Or another way to do this, which avoids cost of a vintage Marshall, the hotplate you don't love, the Suhr line pedal, and the Strymon, etc.....

And is way offing easier, and sounds better IMO, is simply:

Catalinbread (~$100 on eBay) + Fender of choice (with a touch of onboard reverb)

Maybe his recording technique for the vid was just better, maybe you put too much stuff in between. I don't know. I'm just thinking after say 2000, there has really been no reason not to just go buy one of a hundred Marshall in a box pedals.

And dig this! You can then just put a delay after the dirt pedal. Or - with the money you save buy a loop pedal!

He proceeds to elaborate further; dispensing sage wisdom with his obviously many years of experience slaving:

Aceman wrote:Read that to yourself a few times. Are you sure that's the purpose?

Slaving amps is a thing - no question there. But why do you do it? Let alone when/where. In 1968, sure - I see why it would be done. It adds an entire extra gain stage to amps that were fundamentally all high headroom (even the dirty ones).

And do not for a second think that going through ANY tone stack doesn't color the tone! The more I watch that vid, the more issues I have with a lot of the things that were said, or perhaps maybe the way they were presented.

Yes - Marshall + Fender, or Fender plus Marshall makes for an interesting sound I'm sure. But this was presented as "lowering your Mashall volume via slaving" and I do not think that's what happened, or certainly not all that happened.

Having an opinion on something online with little to no experience on the subject; hey, we get it. We see it all the time. We ignore it.

But starting a new thread explaining your "critique" of someone's YouTube vid when it is plainly obvious you know jack and shite about the subject? And when you do zero YouTube vids yourself to boot?

For that, you get the POSEUR stamp:

Jumpin Jiminy Christmas - the fawking ego on this douche (with nothing to back it up). Some of these bar-band flunkies really think they're the next... Van Halen or Robert Fripp or something. Watch the flames on this thread... and *POOF*

"Ace" / "Douche" or whatever the fawk your name is, if you're reading this: Go fawk yourself, you wannabe smart guy. You heard it here.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RitchiesPartyHat
Working Man
Working Man

Re: POTD Aceman The Slaving Wannabe (Seymour Duncan)

Postby IAmTheWalrus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 am

Dude should head on over to the GAB forum.

He'd fit right in. :lol:
Farmin' ain't easy...
IAmTheWalrus
VIP
VIP

Postby RitchiesPartyHat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:24 am

Che Guitarra wrote:Dude should head on over to the GAB forum.

He'd fit right in. :lol:

Dumb as a fargin' rock, he is. Why?

Not only does he know very little about the subject (slaving), and not only has he never utilized it himself...

...but he goes in guns blazing with a "critical assessment" on someone who's actually knowledgeable about it and uses it (slaving) in front of the whole forum.

Thereby earning him -1,000,000 (negative one million) forum cred for looking like a complete arse.

He really should check in to Fucktards Anonymous... it's time.
RitchiesPartyHat
Working Man
Working Man

Postby Scrapperz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for posting this LLL. I thought I was going nuts out here trying to figure things out on my own at a late age. I don't consider myself an expert by any means cause I'm still always unsure of myself but I'm always scratching my head when I read or see someone saying something works and then I try it and it's for poo.

It didn't take me long to disregard a lot of info on the internet. I think many are just throwing whatever they got against the wall to see if it sticks.

Now if I could just get amps like you guys got I might be on the right path to sonic happiness. :D
Scrapperz
Show Me The Way
Show Me The Way

Return to Poseur Of The Day